Professor Zuzana Diamant, MD PhD, Executive Medical and Scientific Director of Respiratory & Allergy at QPS Netherlands, and EAACI Asthma Section Chair 2017-2019, lectured and chaired many sessions at the EAACI 2019 annual congress in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Zuzana’s lecture was part of the new Thematic Symposia entitled: Implementing precision medicine of asthma: are we there yet?
- The title of Zuzana’s key lecture was: ‘’Treatable traits in chronic airway diseases: Where do we stand?’’
- In this lecture, Zuzana provided an overview on paradigm shift on asthma definition and management in the past two centuries and discussed the complex immune and inflammatory pathways underlying the heterogeneous nature of chronic inflammatory airway disease.
- Dr. Diamant concluded that ‘’based on growing evidence, most asthma patients, especially those with more severe disease, display a patchwork of overlapping inflammatory/immune signatures indicative of the presence of multiple inflammatory/immune responses at the same and varying over time’’ and ‘’therefore, targeting one pathway only may not be sufficient to achieve ultimate disease control and disease modification.”
- In addition, in this session Professor Kian Fan Chung from London UK provided an in-depth overview of molecular mechanisms underlying different asthma phenotype, based on U-Biopred data.
- Also, Dr. Susanne Vijverberg, from AMC, Amsterdam, NL, lectured on ‘’Applying precision medicine in pediatric severe asthma: Challenges and opportunities.”
- Additionally, Zuzana chaired a plenary session on ‘’Biologic approaches in asthma’’ together with Dr. Guy Scadding (UK, London).
- Dr. Diamant also chaired a joint ERS-EAACI session on the multidisciplinary nature of asthma, together with Professor Antonio Spanevello (Insubria, Italy).
- Finally, Professor Diamant provided a roadmap for a late breaking session on novel treatment approaches to asthma.
For information specific to QPS’ Respiratory and Allergy Capabilities, you may contact Zuzana Diamant, MD, PhD, pulmonologist-clinical pharmacologist, Principal Investigator and Scientific and Executive Medical and Scientific Director of Respiratory & Allergy at QPS Netherlands, at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.